Thanks to Daniel C's generosity and organization, we enjoyed a fun night at Dr. Pepper Ballpark last Saturday watching the Rough Riders crush the Corpus Christi Hooks 11 - 2, and we ate a lot of hot dogs!
Christy has been leading a series called When Christians Get it Wrong. It is a great series by Adam Hamilton and has spurred lots of great discussion...so much so that we had to finish last week's discussion this week. This week Kristin will lead it as Eve is being baptized at 9:45.
We need people to volunteer to lead class. Kristin has found lots of materials so that part is already done unless you have something you want to discuss. The current series will run through at least May so we need people starting in June.
Summer Sunday School
Connie Presley is in need of Summer Sunday School teachers. We have helped with this the past two years. It gives the regular teachers a break, and everything is provided for you. She needs help with all ages at all hours on all Sundays of the summer. Let me know if you can help. She needs 10 teachers on the following Sundays at 9:45 so if there is a popular one, we will cancel class and help.
June 12th, 19th & 26th
July 17th, 24th & 31st
August 7th & 14th
Body & Soul
This is a ministry that FUMCR has participated in before but was on hold due to necessary maintenance at St. Luke's where we go serve food to the homeless. Our class committed to every other 3rd Sunday. The program is back up and running now, and we have 4 dates to fulfill. We need 10 people to meet at the church at 3pm to ride buses down to St. Luke's and serve. Everything is ready when we get down there. We cannot take small children with us. One thought was that this be a man Sunday, we will cancel class, and then the ladies and maybe men who don't go can meet at someone's home for fellowship with the kids and possibly some study and meal. I have 4 people for sure so far for our first date. ***This is Father's Day so I need responses by the end of this week May 21. Please respond even if you are "no" so that I can give Joy Anderson fair warning or ask for help from other groups!***
From Joy: Body & Soul Information for all Sunday Schools participating:
1. You will need 10 volunteers to go on your Sundays to serve and do the variety of tasks.
2. Each Sunday will have 2 coordinators who will meet you in the south parking lot of the church at 3:00 p.m. and drive you to St. Paul UMC on the church bus and back.
3. The coordinators will direct the servers as to tasks that need to be done during the afternoon, including handing out toiletries, cleaning the tables, serving the food, sweeping and mopping the floor, taking down tables and chairs, haul out the trash at the close of the day.
4. Each class will be responsible for giving a devotional before the meal. This does not need to be long, maybe 5 minutes, but should be careful to be appropriate for our clients ? homeless people without material possessions. There will be a speaker system you can use to give the devotional.
5. You should return to the church by 6:00 p.m.
Carlo x 1
August 21, October 16, December 18 are our other dates. If you already know you would like to go on one of these, let me know.
I am working on the next social as a family picnic. We discussed early June, but I don't think I can swing it so maybe September. I will send out more information soon.
Joys and Concerns:
Daniel C's dad continues to have a difficult time with his health and is in a lot of pain.
Matt will be completing his 1st Iron Man in the Woodlands this weekend!
Matt and Christen joined the church last Sunday.
I passed my last certification exam